Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Multi Engine Blog 3

Flying Single Pilot IFR makes me nervous, especially right now because I have not been flying IFR very much.  I think if I were more current I would be more willing to do it.  I would prefer to go somewhere where I have flown often such as Tooele or Ogden just because I would feel safer and more familiar with the area.  Even flying to an airport i have only been to a few times would be preferable.  I would also be more comfortable flying somewhere where they have a tower.  Flying in IFR conditions more would also make me more comfortable with flying SPIFR, like the article said you should get actual IFR experience with a seasoned IFR pilot before trying to do it on your own.
One thing the article said that I did not know was that when flying SPIFR for a charter flight you must have an auto pilot.  I think this is a good idea because it takes a lot of the workload off of the pilot especially when he is trying to use charts or read something.  I think it would be a good idea to do any SPIFR flight with an autopilot whether it is for a charter or not.
My favorite tip from this article is that if you cannot stay two minutes ahead of the aircraft, and if you can not do this you are not ready for SPIFR.  Staying ahead of the airplane is super important because if you get behind it you miss things and that can be fatal in VFR and even more dangerous in IFR.

No comments:

Post a Comment