Saturday, September 4, 2010

Multi Engine Blog 2

After reading the article about electrical fires it seems like the best thing to do when you have an electrical fire is to put the fire out.  This seems pretty obvious to me however the article explains that all electrical systems should immediately be turned off and it explained how to turn systems back on and why.  when comparing the article to the Seminole procedures I notices they both focus on getting the fire out at fast as possible.  They also tell how to turn systems back on if needed, and they both make sure that you have the problem fixed before flying again.  For me, this reinforces that I need to turn all electrical components off right away and get the fire out.  I would then land as soon as possible.  if i had someone else flying with me i would let them attempt to turn components back on, because I would like radios, or I would do it myself if it was necessary. however my primary goal would be to land right away.  One thing i liked about the article was that is said the first indication of an electrical fire is the burning insulation smell which i imagine would smell like burning plastic, a very distinct smell.
The article also points out that many fires are caused by a short circuit, which is when electricity flows along an unintended path such as arching between wires or other conductive materials.

2 comments:

  1. I felt the same way about how both the AOPA and the Seminole checklist placed emphasis on putting the fire out and then trying to get essential equipment back. However, the AOPA one suggested that you contact ATC, if you are talking to them already, prior to turning off the electrical system. I thought this would be based on the severity of the fire and your location. If I had this experience on short final coming into Salt Lake I probably would declare the emergency versus on SLC center on a x/c to Idaho when I'm on short final into a non-towered airport.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made a good point about using the person next to you. It is very important to do and I did not mention this in my post :)

    ReplyDelete