Tuesday, April 12, 2011

CFI Blog # 7 Expectations Talk

CFI Blog 7
Expectations Talk

Upon receiving a new private pilot student, I would sit down and talk to them about what I expect from them as a student, and what they can expect from me as an instructor. Primarily i would expect the student should be on time and prepared.
Student should be prepared for each lesson, bing all material and equipment needed, including student certificate, or license for pilots, and medical. The student should have their airport badge, and foggles if needed.  I would expect the student to be dressed appropriately for the flight they are doing whether it is a cross country, or summer, or winter flight, and to be hygienic.
I would also expect the student to put in study time outside of lessons, to do worksheets, and any other assignments given to them.  The student should be able to prepare themselves for the lesson.
In addition I expect the student to be fit for flight. They should not show up sick, stressed out, or upset.  Should the student be unable to follow these expectations I would expect the student to let me know ahead of time so that I could cancel the lesson.  Should the lesson be canceled, I would expect the student to make an effort to reschedule so that they do not get behind on their completion timeline.
 Things the student should expect for me to should include a professional attitude and appearance. The student should expect me to be prepared for the lesson, and to cancel the flight if I become sick.  For the most part I think the student should expect from me the same things that I expect from them.  In addition the student should expect me to make every effort within reason to get them finished with their lessons in a timely manner, and to find them another instructor if I am unavailable.
Over all I think these expectations are very reasonable, and many should be common sense if not just common courtesy.  Though many of these things are simple they should be discussed with the student so that we both know what we are expected to do and there is no concussion about who should be doing what. 

No comments:

Post a Comment